Africa has a rich and diverse culture of music, dance, and drumming. In this ongoing co-ed class, we will explore the polyrhythmic patterns of West Africa and learn accompaniment rhythms, breaks, and arrangement phrases for both traditional and modern West African rhythms. You will also learn the meaning and cultural history of the rhythms, we’ll focus on different exercises to improve your playing, and explore a variety of West African hand and stick drums and drumming techniques - including djembe, djun (dunun), and small percussion.
Prerequisite: Hand Drum for Beginners, West African Drumming 1, or equivalent experience
Level: Intermediate to advanced drummers
Date: Sundays 11:30am-1pm
Cost: $15 per participant / per class session
Instructor: Dan Engebretson
Location: Women’s Drum Center
Parking on street. Please enter side door on Hampden Av. (ring WDC bell).
- Register by email to reserve your place with your name and phone/cell number (in case of event changes): email@example.com. Pay by cash or check at the event.
- Preregistration is required at least 2 days in advance.
To Prepay Online:
- Register for your WDC event to reserve your place.
- Use the “Buy Classes” section of the WDC site to pay for your event.
- For classes of $15 or less, there is a 2-3 class minimum for online purchases.