Layne Redmond was a celebrated, world renowned female drummer, and her work with the frame drum was revolutionary. Her book When the Drummers Were Women detailed the truth that many ancient depictions of women holding circular objects were actually representations of women using drums to heal, entertain and build community. Chris was able to meet Layne and study with her at workshops sponsored by the WDC before Layne passed away from cancer several years ago. This women only workshop will offer an instruction to Layne’s history with the drum, the high points of her book and the drumming techniques for this unique instrument.
Prerequisite: No drumming experience necessary but helpful. A few drums are available, bring your own if you have one.
Date: Oct 13, 1-3pm.
Cost: $30 per participant
Instructor: Chris Harnak
Location: Women’s Drum Center
Parking on street. Please enter side door on Hampden Av. (ring WDC bell).
- Register by email to reserve your place with your name and phone/cell number (in case of event changes): firstname.lastname@example.org. Pay by cash or check at the event.
- Preregistration is required at least 2 days in advance.
To Prepay Online:
- Register for your WDC event to reserve your place.
- Use the “Buy Classes” section of the WDC site to pay for your event.
- For classes of $15 or less, there is a 2-3 class minimum for online purchases.